Thursday, July 13, 2006

Baseball, Doctors, and Apricot Pie

Some days I go to sleep and wonder how things can get any crazier, or how something can make me laugh any harder than something did the previous day, and each morning I wake up and realize that this is now the life I live- and that things will continue to surprise and amaze me throughout my two years.
I had an interesting day on Tuesday. I havent been feeling well, so I decided it was time to go to the doctor. Now, I'm not picky about most things, but I do have a standard in my head for how I expect medical treatment to be. I guess I have just been spoiled in the past. I went to the "American" clinic- it can be called this because there is an American doctor who consults. She doesnt actually see patients; in fact, it is against the law for her to do so. So I was examined by Vitally, a guy who looked younger than me and who didnt know important things, like how to take my blood pressure or where my lymph nodes were. I figured things werent going to go too smoothly when he had trouble with the blood presure machine. I kindly showed him how to do it, and things went on from there. He determined that I had both strep throat and a sinus infection and decided that I was close to getting an ear infection. I didnt know they could tell when someone was close to getting an ear infection, but he did, and decided to clean out my ears to prevent it. Well, I've had this done once before, and the process while not extremely comfortable, was successful. This time, it was unlike anything I've ever been a part of. He got a syringe (one that hadnt been cleaned since the patient before- I could see stuff both on it and in it) and filled it with water and then attempted to squirt it in my ear. Well, luckily for me, none of it went into my ear. Instead, it completely covered my shirt. He repeated this process several times (about 10) until he decided that it just wasnt working. I'll spare you the details, but He then tried to dig it out of my ear with something sharp. I stopped him pretty quickly- I decided to take my chances with the ear infection. I figured the odds of surviving that were better than those of the "procedure" he was performing!
Well, after picking up my medicine from a local drugstore - I love that prescriptions arent needed here, I went to a 7-8 yr old baseball game. I wouldnt have gone except that I had promised some of my young teammates that I would be there. So off I went, with my preconceived notions about baseball. From first glances it had every appearance of a baseball game. There was a diamond, some balls, and little kids dressed in uniforms that copied the Major league teams in the States. Oh, but as the game began, I found some striking differences. First, most of these kids were local, and had grown up not on the baseball field, but on the soccer pitch; so they had no idea what they were getting in to. So instead of catching balls, child after child went to kicking the ball. One little one even tried to head it, but after he was carried off the field, no one else tried that. There were also some interesting rules. THe uniforms didnt have to match, as long as the team name was on it, but each child had to wear the same hat- and if they didnt have a hat on they were not allowed to play. It was all in all a very interesting dynamic. Thrown in were parents from both the Soviet Union and the US and things just kept getting better and better. The American parents grew up around this sport, and couldnt understand why the local kids couldnt get it, and the local parents were confused as to why people would want to play this sport when there were other, "better" options, such as badmitton or soccer. It was great. I dont think I am going to miss a game from here on out.
The end to this day was a package that was waiting at my door. Now, my mail goes not to my house but to the post office, so I knew it had to have been something that was dropped off. I was a little worried though; not knowing what was in it was a bit scary. I must confess that I had visions of bombs or dead animals- things that my creative little mind was convinced would be there. Instead it was a pie. I was thrilled! A Pie! I love pie- and what better after a baseball game? Well, I dug my fork into it and was ready for an apple or even a peach to come out. Instead, it was an apricot pie, with pomegranate juice in it. Now, I dont know if you have had this before, but if you havent I dont reccommend you trying it. I think there is a reason my grandmother never made this one! Anyway, it was a nice gesture, and I happily ate that thing. I dont think I'll eat another one though.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

The doctor's office is funnier than the grocery store and I thought nothing could beat that! I can't wait to see how Dad is going to use these experiences in your future!Hope the meds work.