Thursday, June 01, 2006

This is my closest friend here. We have nothing in common. She is my fruit vendor. She is married with three kids and commutes two hours to work each day. She and her husband, along with her two sisters share a one room flat in a village. The kids live 36 hours away by train and they see each other maybe once a month... the youngest one is only 2.
She is wise though- she understands how people work. She knows who to trust, who to watch with a very careful eye, and who to refuse service to. I learn a lot from watching her. She has started bringing me a stool to sit on with her, so when she sees me coming, no matter what I had scheduled to do, she begins to furiously wave her arms and yells (in Russian) "Hey you crazy American, you better come over here!!" Now, she knows that I will come, because I am usually embarrassed that she is yelling so loudly. I go over, and she pulls out my stool, along with a basket of cherries.
So I sit there, spitting cherry seeds into this hole in the ground, watching as she wheels and deals. She doesnt have her prices posted. I asked her why one day and she merely responded that she is here to make a living, and if some people want to pay more than others, then she isnt going to stop them. I started to say that people dont know how much other people are paying, but she interrupted me and said, " that is the beauty of capitalism isnt it?" Now, I know good and well that she has no idea what capitalism really is; but that is funny!
At the beginning of our relationship, I selfishly went to her because she would save salad for me! I didnt think that she would ever be my best source of everything, but from hours at the fruit stand I have gained valuable language practice, new friends, an occasional invitation to a futbol game; and most importantly, a little place that makes me feel like I have something to come home to! Paca!!

No comments: