Thursday, June 01, 2006

I'm a bad blogger- sorry!

The other day I had to go to the KLM airlines office to straighten out some ticket stuff. Anyway, I walked in and started speaking my poor Russian to the first lady. She laughed and then whispered in gentle English "My English is pretty good, you can speak English to me if you want." It had been a long day, so I immediately switched to English, grateful that I could use my native tongue with her. Little did I know this would cause such a stir. The customer at the next booth leaned over to her lady and said quite loudly in Russian, " Why do people come to this ocuntry and not know how to speak Russian. How arrogant of that girl (me) to come in here and act like that." I wanted to yell, but i merely responded in Russian that I could in fact speak her language and that if she wanted me to do it all in Russian that I could. Well, the look on her face was priceless. It was not an ugly exchange, but I left the office feeling very sad. It hurt my feelings that someone would be so rude- to a stranger.
Here is the application. When I was in the States, it was always a little strange to see people from other cultures living out their culture- women with covered heads, men in bringhtly patterned or traditional clothes, or groups of immigrants speaking their native languages with each other. I never quite knew how to respond to them, usually it was with a smile and some curiosity, but I must admit that sometimes I had the though- Why cant they just speak English? I understand now- How selfish of me.
People said that langauage is hardest at the end of a long day- and I didnt believe them, until I had my first long day. I got in the taxi after being outside for about 6 hrs in 100 degree heat and instantly lost every word of Russian that I had ever learned. I couldnt tell the man where I wanted to go, where I was from, or what my name was. So what do I do a the end of a day like that? I find an American; possilby someone from my team, or even someone in one of the local hangouts that all foreigners go to, and I use every English word that I know. Something about being able to speak unrestrained- and aptly convey emotion or desire is reviving.
I guess the point of my ranting is this: We are told that people from every tongue, tribe and nation will be gathered around the throne. Something tells me that they wont all be speaking English. I know this may be a shock to some of you- it was a shock to me- but I think it is the truth. I am always grateful for that kind person who is patient with me- the one who understands that my Russian isnt that great, and will work with me- and genuinely try to understand what it is that I am saying. I want to be that person too! I think it extends far beyond language though- I think it extends to all differences- social, racial, economic. I challenge you guys (and myself) to let the passion to see all kinds of people, one from every tribe, tongue, and nation, motivate you to love people- even if they dare to speak another language in America!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Thought provoking post and something I need to spend time thinking about, especially with all the controversy in our country now. I find myself thinking, if you are going to live here, learn the language! I needed to hear from the perspective of the foreigner. Thanks for sharing, I am never to old to learn! Love you dearly,CF