Monday, August 21, 2006

Growing up's not as easy as it looks

I’ve had to act like a grown up lately, and to be honest, that isn’t a role that I have readily embraced. Even though I’ve been around long enough to understand that grown ups aren’t perfect, I still had the gross misconception that they always acted like adults, just because of the position they were in. Well, I was wrong! I was very disappointed by this at the first realization of it, and wrestled a lot with the idea. Here is the situation: I heard very clearly from the Lord that I was supposed to make a move to a different situation. I spent time seeking Him, waited for Him to give clear word, and then believed that this word was enough to allow me to follow through with what He said.
Well, imagine my surprise when I was met with very strong opposition to the word of the Lord. Now, I know it is not nearly as severe as the opposition that Noah felt, but I did get a sense of what it was like for people to think you were crazy. Some of my leadership didn’t feel the same way. I got very bitter, and really fought with the Lord over this issue. “Why would you give me such clarity and confidence if it was going to be met with such opposition? Why would Godly men not hear from You? Why would this not be easy; after all, its your will?” These were some of my big questions.
God and I did a lot of talking during this time, and He was able to get His point across. Here is what He said.
“The voice of the Lord is powerful. The voice of the Lord is full of majesty.” Ps 29:4 In the moments that followed me reading that, I realized, there was nothing that the voice of the Lord didn’t control.
*It controls my friends that have no interest in Him or His word,
*it controls the government of the country that I live in that passes crazy laws that make it hard for me to live here
* It controls the waters of a tsunami and the winds of a hurricane
* And yes, it even controls my boss, who at first conversation was not willing to let me follow the calling of the Lord.

Nothing external changed immediately after I read that passage, but huge things changed on the inside. My voice will never be as powerful as the voice of the Lord. NEVER! No matter how loudly I yell, or how many people I get the chance to speak in front of. I do believe that one person can change the world, but I also believe that the only way to do that is to trust that when God tells you He is going to do something, that He really is going to do it! The end of my story is simple- the mind of the man who was so adamantly against me moving has allowed me to go. And man, has God gotten some serious glory from this entire situation. Even though it would have been much easier on me if he would have allowed it immediately, I would not have learned anything from the situation. God allowed this very sticky, painful, and grown up situation to happen so that He could receive glory from this, so that He could test my faith, and so that His power over the most stubborn of people could be exercised.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

You are fortunate to have learned a valuable lesson that takes many of us most of our lives to learn. Keep sharing, I love it!
CF