Saturday, August 05, 2006

You Put Your Right Foot In...


You put your right foot out, you put your right foot in and.... (sing it with me now) you shake it all about! I got the privilege of teaching an English camp to 10-13 yr olds who were native Russian speakers but who had had some introduction to English. Basically, this meant that they were supposed to have some concept of the language- some idea about words, sentences, basic stuff. They kind of did.
I'm letting you into a big secret, but my default when I teach is always to sing. Poeple love to sing silly songs, and I love to act a fool, so it is a perfect match. We had talked about prepositions and also about body parts, so I thought this would be the perfect way to practice. SO I stood them up and began the song that had usually been reserved for skating rink brithday parties. But it was a hit! Some things just translate. I mean, how could you really translate "HOKEY POKEY" into Russian anyway!

No comments: