Monday, August 28, 2006

Just hanging out on the doorstep

I packed up my life today, so that it could be shipped on a train to my new city. I had no idea that the life I had amassed here would fit into 9 boxes and action packers. Anyway, I live on the 5th floor, so lugging NINE overstuffed trunks down those flights of stairs was quite a workout. It was made worse because of the smell of open sewage that was suffocating me as I walked down the stairs. By the time that I made it to the ground floor, I was practically gagging; I had never smelled that horrible of an odor. I wasnt really paying attention to my surroundings, but when I came out of the stairwell, I oculdnt help but notice what was at my feet. There was an old man, curled up in the grass to the right of my doorway. He smelled, not nearly as bad as the sewage, but strong enough where I could notice him. His clothes were torn and ragged and he was using all of his possessions as a pillow. Now, this scene isnt unusual here, as sad as that is to say, but for some reason, the circumstances surrounding this man just broke my heart. This man was trying to sleep in the middle of a busy parking lot, with the sewage running right by his head, bees and flies swarming all around, passerbys looking at him with much disdain, and dogs using the bathroom at his feet. We're pretty lucky.

No comments: