Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm gonna PUMP you UP

Well, I've been here long enough to feel settled and I have found a gym. Today was my second day there, and I have some interesting trends to report. Sit back and enjoy, and be glad that gyms in America are the way they are, even if a little intimidating.
First, to set the stage, imagine 1976. Now, I wasn't alive at this time, but if I would have been, I'm pretty sure this is what it would have looked like. I paid my money and walked into the "training facility" (THat is what they call it). Yes, I pay every time that I go. I could buy the 10 visit pass, but it actually costs more to buy that than it does to pay each time. Anyway, I walk into the gym with my American workout buddy thinking that it was a normal gym. Well, before I even get to the first machine, I realize that there must be horns shooting out of my head, or I must have purple skin, because everyone in the room (About 35 men) is starring intently at our saunter. After getting over this, I make my way to the part of the weight room I want to work out in.
WHen I get there, I begin my mad search for a pin for the weights. If you can find one, you hold on to it with your life. But usually you cant find one, so you have to fashion other things to hold the weights up. I must admit, I have gotten quite creative at this art. But today was my lucky day and I found a pin after only about ten minutes of searching. I then started the dance to find a machine.
Here is how it goes: you eye the machine that you want and move very close to it. If someone is on the machine, you stand right in front of them and stare them down. Sometimes, it helps if you sigh loudly and tap your foot or our hand. After tapping for awhile, if the man still hasn't gotten up, you start to speak very loudly. There seems to be an art to this. I think you are supposed to speak loudly; and for some reason, that helps with the process. I was not adequately prepared for this and therefore was quite confused the first few times it happened. I am still not very confident with this process, but maybe with work I can get better at it.
I did my workout with many eyes watching. I didn't quite know why they were watching, but then I looked around the room, and realized that there was only one other female in the room, and she was my friend. In fact, no other women came in the room while we were there.
We were confused by this at first, but as we were leaving, we realized where the women were. There is a track around the indoor soccer field downstairs, and this is apparently where the women are supposed to hang out. It was funny though: we fit in better with the men than we did the women.
They had some interesting takes on workout apparel. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Saran Wrap- woman after woman had wrapped this cooking device around their entire body; I think it induced sweating, but for these ladies it only added some interesting noises to the room.
2. High Heels- worn everywhere else; I guess I should have assumed they would have been worn here too. Oh yes, and the women DID run in them!
3. Short shorts (like those reminiscent of early basketball uniforms) on the men. Wasn't there a reason why the NBA changed the uniform?
4. Changing rooms exist there, but they aren't used for changing. Instead, the preferred changing area is out in the open. There is no shame in this game!

Anyway, it was a good workout day; and I was laughing at every turn. Just another day.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Wow, that is hilerious! I love it!