Sunday, January 14, 2007

Betting

So most of you that are reading know that I have the propensity for getting myself into a little bit of trouble. Or at least, putting my foot in my mouth. I like to set things up so that I win, or at least come out ahead of the other people who are involved. I know that sounds terrible, but its true. I often do things without being completely informed about the thing I am discussing, challenging, or betting on. The following is an example.
I made a bet with Phil, a teammate here, at the beginning of the winter. Here is the bet: If I didnt fall all winter, then he owed me sushi. If I fell, but managed to pull him down with me, he owed me sushi.
I thought this was a win win situation. I didnt have a full understanding of a winter in KZ, or a winter in which a scarf is more than a fashion accessory. I thought that people would fall maybe once or twice during the winter, but those of us with superior balance and coordination wouldnt fall at all. So I went into this feeling pretty confident about my chances of collecting some GOOD sushi with this bet!
I made it through Christmas with no falls. My opponent, Phil, fell 5, thats right, 5 times, up until that point. Here is where I underestimated the competition. I thought surely, I would at least collect on some sushi over the holiday break, because I hadnt fallen at all.. and he had fallen 5 Times! But he stood fast- the winter isnt over, he chided.
Fast forward a few weeks later. We are getting on the bus, which by the way, was not my idea, when a patch of ice falls from the sky and trips me. I fall right down at the door to the bus, half afraid that the thing is going to start moving and run me over. I am paralyzed with laughter; no amount of struggling is going to get me up. Phil happens to be with me and pulls me up.
I want something to be very clear here. I had an opportunity to pull him down; to drag him under the bus with me, but I didnt do it. Why is that? you might be asking. I didnt pull him down because I am merciful! Thats right... I sacrificed the bet, the chance to eat free sushi, for another man's life!
Here is the pitiful thing about all of this. He doesnt see it my way. He still contends that he is winning, because not only did I fall, but I failed in my attempts to pull him down too. Since this day, I have fallen two more times, but I am still two falls away from his record of 5.
I think he can be convinced; but I need your help. If you are in favor of me still winning the bet, please make a comment on here. If you arent, please dont comment, as I want this to be as one sided as possible!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am breaking the rules, but you LOSE! and i love the thought of you guys falling all over the place. i am so bad.

lalex.7 said...

I don't know this is a tough one....seeing as I haven't fallen yet in my snow/ice filled environment...so the way I see it is this...if I manage not to fall, then maybe you lose...if I fall too, then you should definitely win.....but then again, as long as you fall less than him AND decided against pulling him down with you, you clearly deserve free sushi! Yep, that's my decision- Emily deserves free sushi!

Mamooska said...

I think you should win, and get the free sushi!! But Phil should learn a very important lesson, do not bet with you because you always like to be the winner!!!

Tell Phil I will buy him some sushi when I come to KZ, he deserves some compensation for his great wisdom and patience!!!

Love you

Anonymous said...

i just tagged you on my blog. please go read and participate

Jonathan said...

I have been to KZ in winter and I don't see how anybody can go all winter without falling at least once. It's like they keep the sidewalks cleared with salt.

Jess Connell said...

I should have made a bet that you wouldn't post an update for nearly 6 weeks! I need some free food! :)