Monday, November 20, 2006

More thoughts on the Compleat Gent

Okay... so even though it wasnt posted on my blog, I received quite a bit of feedback about my post on the disappearance of the gentleman. Most of this came in the form of conversations, and I have to admit, I didnt even consider their very vaild complaints while writing my previous post. But, because I like to be fair, and their arguments held quite a lot of weight, I write the other side to the gentleman.
This was the complaint that all of the guys that I talked to had. Its to all of the ladies that read this post. LET THE MEN BE GENTLEMEN!!!. I can honestly say that I had no clue that this was a problem; because, for any of you who know me at all, I have no problem letting a guy exercise and practice the art of being a gentleman! But apartently, there are many girls out there who feel that they are too independent, too much of a bother, too unworthy to have a guy treat them like that.
But here is the truth- You are not too independent. Just by proxy of being created as a woman, you have a God given need and desire to be taken care of and protected by men. For my friends who are reading this and scoffing, it has nothing to do with your intellectual capabilities or your ability to handle yourself in tough situations. Instead, it has everything to do with the being that you are. AND, when you act within the confines of who you are, you allow the guy to act the way that they were created to act as well!
More truth: You are not being a bother. Contrary to what most of the popular media says, you are not being a bother. Instead, you are appearing more charming, more alluring, more beautiful. And beleive it or not, guys actually want to do this for you. Now this isnt the case across the board, but more often than not, guys want to act right. Its only after many women chastise them for trying to be nice do they stop.
Final nugget of truth: You are not too unworthy either. You are worth this. The things that are included in being gentlmanly arent huge things, but they make a huge difference. And you, as a woman, as a person, are worth these things.
Okay. The last thing the guys that I talked to pointed out, was that I wasnt really quick to point out many gentlemen that I have been blessed to know. So here goes a quick list. I'm pretty lucky, so mine is pretty long. My dad, my grandfathers (both of them), my uncle Sid, many men from my home church, several guys that I went to college with, the men that I work with over here... Each of them, and I didnt name the people within the larger categories, have left an indelible mark on who I am, and also have set the standard very high for the man that will be my husband. So thanks for being gentleman- at a time when its not really cool. And girls, I'll say it again- Let the men that want to be this way be!
Your thoughts on this one would be appreciated... and not only just to me. Please post them for everyone to read.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Honey, any Southern girl worth her grits has figured this out a long time ago! There are many of us who still love to be treated like the special person we are, and you;re right, it has nothing to do with strength or intellect (or lack of it). Loved talking to you today!
CF